I can’t even believe I’m writing this. A woman’s right to make decisions about her own body was probably the very first issue that ever sparked a political thought in me. I was maybe 15 years old. Maybe younger.
And now, more than 20 years later, there is still doubt over whether women should be allowed to make their own decisions.
This is what happens when millions of women stand up to demand to be heard. Backlash.
I’m not going to write a long post justifying a woman’s right to self-determination. There does not have to be any justification. There is nothing to argue: My body, my rules.
Instead, I will list the places to go to fight for this right.
Starting at the top:
Today the POTUS signed an executive order that reinstates the global gag rule, denying federal funds to NGOs in other countries that do so much as talk to women about abortion.
- Call the White House: 202-456-1111
- Email: Contact form.
- Donate: Planned Parenthood or National Abortion Federation
- Contact Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, who has said she will introduce legislation to dismantle this policy, to voice your support: 202-224-2841.
- Contact your own senators to voice your opinion.
Rep. Jody B. Hice, R-GA, introduced a bill that defines life as beginning at conception.
- Call Rep. Hice: 202-225-4101
- Contact your own representative to voice your opinion.
In Connecticut, not one, but three bills were introduced to limit access to abortion.
- If you live in Connecticut, find your state senator here.
If you don’t understand why the proposed legislation is worrisome and problematic, please comment or contact me directly.
If you get it, get to the phones.